All it took was a date with the Baltimore Orioles for the New York Yankees to cure their early season woes. New York won its first game on Monday, an easy 6-2 victory that helped the franchise avoid its first 0-4 start since 1973. The Yankees have posted a 13-5 record against Baltimore in each of the past three seasons.
Starting pitching was the key to the Orioles’ early success, surrendering only one run in 23 innings to open with a three-game sweep of the Minnesota Twins. But lefty Brian Matusz was shelled in Monday’s loss, and Baltimore batters are now just 6-for-33 (.182) with runners in scoring position. Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter continued his hot start to the season with a 4-for-4 effort to boost his average above the .400 mark.
Yankees Orioles Betting
When: 7:05 PM ET, Tuesday, April 10, 2012
Where: Oriole Park at Camden Yards, Baltimore, Maryland
TV: 7:05 p.m. ET, MLB Network, MY9 (New York), MASN (Baltimore)
Garcia enters his 14th career season and had a bit of a bounce-back year in 2011. The 35-year-old has played for five different teams since 2004, but last year was his first with a sub-4.00 ERA since 2005. He earned a spot in the rotation when Michael Pineda went down with a shoulder injury.
Chen will make his major-league debut after signing a three-year, $11.3 million deal with the Orioles over the winter. The 26-year-old was 36-30 with a 2.48 ERA over 117 games with the Japan Central League’s Chunichi Dragons. Chen went 2-2 with a 3.60 ERA in five spring outings.
1. New York hasn’t lost a season series against Baltimore in the past 14 years.
2. Jeter leads all active players in games (253) and runs scored (194) against the Orioles, and he’s second with 125 RBIs.
3. The Yankees are 23-9 in their last 32 games in Baltimore.
- 2012 MLB Baseball Futures: Yankees Seek Improvement after Early 2011 Exit (Apr 5, 2012)
- MLB Betting: Friday’s American League probable pitching matchup capsules (Apr 5, 2012)
- Yankees and Phillies Will Win Most Games in 2012 Baseball Season (Apr 1, 2012)
- 2012 New York Yankees season preview (Mar 23, 2012)
- 2012 Baltimore Orioles season preview (Mar 23, 2012)